February 29, 2012

February 2012 Sample Box Showdown!

Hello, Beautiful!

This is the February 2012 Sample Box Showdown! In this post I'll show you every box/kit/bag that I received this month from beauty subscription sampling programs. I'll show you what I got in each one, the value, and what I think is best and worst of the month. Enjoy!

Oh, and there are two shipment I didn't show you this month. The first was Beautyfix, which I received a few weeks ago and have been too busy to photograph. It was an amazing value and lots of great products! I'll post the next shipment (they only come four times a year). Then there is The Look Bag. I signed up at the end of January and never received a bag this month. I tried calling them a week ago, and they said I should already have it and to give it a day or two. I gave it a week, called them again, and this time had to leave a message. I gave them both my phone number and email address, letting them know I didn't get a shipment but was charged for one. They haven't gotten back to me yet, so hopefully they're just trying to resolve the issue before they get in touch. But it's making me nervous.

February 2012 Sample Box Showdown!


Here are the sample boxes I received this month:
 

 




Larger pics of each box:












Value Breakdown:
You can click on each box name to view that blog post.

  • Birchbox #1: $18.58 ($10 a month; I received 6 items)
  • Birchbox #2: $19.16 ($10 a month; I received 6 items)
  • Beauty Army: $72.50 ($12 a month; I received 6 items)
  • MyGlam: $17.81 ($10 a month; I received 6 items)
  • Green Grab Bag: $58.34 ($15 a month; I received 7 items)



How I'd rate each one:


BIRCHBOX #1:
  • This was my Birchbox shipment and I wasn't all that impressed with it. I was happy to receive the Eye Rock, although I still haven't used them. They're thicker than I had thought and I just didn't have time to play around with them yet.
  • Best Product: Kiehl's Dark Spot Corrector -- I have dark spots, and like the Kiehl's brand, so I was happy to get this product.
  • Worst Product: Supersmile Powdered Mouthrinse -- As much as I love Supersmile toothpaste, I just can't get into the powdered mouthrinse.
  • Net Value: Products worth $18.58, minus the monthly fee ($10) = $8.58

BIRCHBOX #2:
  • This was the shipment I get my husband (we share shipments, mostly so I can try more products). I liked his box better than mine, but they were pretty equal on value.
  • Best Product: Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant - Looking forward to using a powder exfoliant!
  • Worst Product: heart shaped nail file -- I mean, it's cute and all, but poor quality
  • Net Value: Products worth $19.16, minus the monthly fee ($10) = $9.16

BEAUTY ARMY:
  • I'm really liking Beauty Army! I like selecting my samples and knowing what I'm going to get for my money. Beauty Army hands down wins this month for best value!
  • Best Product: Pssssst Dry Shampoo -- this went on clear and really worked!
  • Worst Product: n/a
  • Net Value: Products worth $72.50, minus the monthly fee ($12) = $60.50

MYGLAM BAG:
  • I was excited to receive a bag this month, especially after not getting one last month, but I wasn't overly impressed. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's not something I'm jumping out of my seat for. I will say that the actual bag was super, super cute! I'm curious to see what my March bag will have.
  • Best Product: NYX Roll-On Glitter -- I love glitter and shimmer, so this was perfect!
  • Worst Product: X Out Shine Control -- Even though I have shine, I'm nervous to use this since it's from the makers of Proactive. I worry it will cause a skin reaction, like Proactive did on me. I'll have to try it at some point.
  • Net Value: Products worth $17.81, minus the monthly fee ($10) = $7.81

GREEN GRAB BAG:
  • This grab bag really impressed me with how much more it felt like I was receiving, when really I only had one more item than all the other shipments this month. I liked that they give a coupon for each product in case you want to go and buy it. The value was nice too, although I've heard the one product in there (the Vapour blush) was something for new subscribers, which would take $28 off the value if this was not a new subscriber bag. I'd have to try this service out more to really get a feel for how much value you get for the price, as it is the most expensive option.
  • Best Product: Vapour Aura Multi-Use Blush -- I don't use blush all that often, especially cream blush, but the value of this product was great and I think the color is really beautiful too.
  • Worst Product: Soapylane Relaxing Herbal Bath Tea -- I don't take many baths, and I'm not a tea person, so this product just didn't interest me at all.
  • Net Value: Products worth $58.34, minus the monthly fee ($15) = $43.34.. then if you minus out the full sized Vapour Blush ($28) = $15.34



And the winner is...

BEAUTY ARMY!
I was most impressed and most happy with my Beauty Army kit, plus, it has the best value out of them all! 


Now let me know what you think...
What shipment was your favorite this month? Which was your least favorite? Did you sign up for any new subscriptions or did you cancel any subscriptions this month? Discuss in the comments below.

5 comments:

  1. I am so envy with all those beauty sample service that you guys have, in my country they are non-existent (sob..), and most of the beauty sample service don't ship international yet huhu...

    Anyway, I love reading your posts, especially about all these boxes that you received :)


    YURI
    http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also very happy with Beauty Army! I signed up for Sindulge too, so we shall see how that one goes. Also doing Julep Maven as that's had great reviews and they seem super reliable! I love these posts! Can't get enough of the sample boxes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked my Beauty Army and MyGlam...if you like GGB, you should look into EcoEmi, they are awesomesauce!

    I am canceling a few of my sub boxes....some because they are just ok, and some because I need to whittle down the number I get...and a few because I want to try others lol.

    Great review, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for Beauty Army! I loved my Feb box too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Eco-Emi would be great too! However, after 4 months, there was not one product that I liked -CANCELLED!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)