October 11, 2011

October 2011 Birchbox - shipment #1

Hello, Beautiful!

This is my October 2011 Birchbox shipment. My husband's Birchbox is still in the mail, on its way. I'll post his box contents once it arrives!

For more information on Birchbox, or to sign-up and start receiving your own Birchbox every month, CLICK HERE to visit http://www.birchbox.com/. Just $10 each month!


*Remember to click on the images to view them larger!*

October 2011 Birchbox
My Birchbox beauty profile was set to Trendy and Classic.













The Included Info Card:




SHIPMENT QUICK-STATS:
  • Value of October's Birchbox Shipment: $19.27 PLUS whatever the value of the face mask is, which did not list a size (value is approximate)
  • Total # of Items Received: 5
  • # of makeup items: 2
  • # of nail items: 0
  • # of skin care items: 1
  • # of body care items: 0
  • # of hair care items: 1
  • # of fragrance: 0
  • # of other items: 1


Now I'll break it down, product-by-product...



ANASTASIA Beverly Hills HydraFull Gloss in the shade Bellini
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: This plush gloss plumps and hydrates lips and adds a pretty peachy sheen.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I've never tried any Anastasia products, besides her brow stuff. I'm interested in this gloss; the applicator is different from anything else I currently own. It's like a flexible spatula/paddle thing. I haven't actually taken the time to swatch it on my lips yet because I'm sick right now, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. The color, Bellini, looks a little too orange for my skin tone, but I guess I'll see soon!
  • FULL SIZE: 0.07 fl oz @ $21 *** Please Note: Birchbox lists the wrong size on their info card. They say this gloss is 0.7 fl oz when in fact it is 0.07 fl oz full sized. Big difference in value! Shame, shame, Birchbox!
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.03 fl oz
  • VALUE: $9.01


 





 








CLARK'S BOTANICALS Intense Radiance Mask
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: The solution to dull, congested skin. This white clay mask detoxifies pores, conquers blemishes, and even calms irritations. It's glow time.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I'm always up to try new masks, so this will be a product I try out for sure! There is a light scent to it and it's rather creamy. I'll give this a go the next time I watch a movie, since you need to leave the mask on for 25 to 30 minutes.
  • FULL SIZE: 1.7 fl oz @ $72
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: ?
  • VALUE: $?


 








AMIKA Obliphica Hair Treatment
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: This versatile hair oil can be used on damp or dry hair, and adds manageability, softness, and shine. Bonus: it smells gorgeous.
  • MY THOUGHTS: This was leaking when I opened my box (you can see the leak spots on the tissue paper in the pics above). I was worried it may have leaked out completely and evaporated, but luckily it's still mostly full. This is a product I'll probably use at some point, but I don't know when. It's not a product I would buy in a store, so it's nice to have a sample size to try first. I'll add this to my hair oils area and try it out in the future. As for the "gorgeous smell"; it's okay. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it.
  • FULL SIZE: 3.38 fl oz @ $34.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.34 fl oz
  • VALUE: $3.42
 








LAURA GELLER Spackle Tinted Under Makeup Primer in Bronze
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: This hydrating primer gives you a flawless foundation for makeup -- plus a subtle glow. It works on all skin tones -- we tested it!
  • MY THOUGHTS: I already have this, also in a deluxe sample size, and I really like it. Laura Geller makes fantastic primers! Her Bronze tinted primer is nice but doesn't really change my color, which is a good thing because it works for everyone. It does add a warmth to my skin though, and if you have fair skin you may see more of a warmth. I'm happy to have another deluxe sample size of her primer!
  • FULL SIZE: 2 oz @ $25
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.50 oz
  • VALUE: $6.25
 












 THE LAUNDRESS Wool & Cashmere Shampoo
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: This fall, treat your sweaters as well as you treat your tresses with this exceedingly elegant detergent.
  • MY THOUGHTS: This was their included "extra" for this shipment. At first glance I thought it was an actual shampoo, for your hair. I've never referred to laundry detergent as shampoo, but I guess that's what makes this "special". Honestly, I don't use this. I have a kid and barley have time to do my own laundry, let alone pamper my laundry. I'm lucky to have an awesome washer & dryer that will wash even dry-clean-only items on the delicate or hand wash setting and they come out perfect. This just isn't something I need. Just like when Victoria's Secret came out with their special laundry detergent; I had wanted it -- but that was before I had a kid. Now I'm just happy if my clothes make it from the laundry room to my closet, on hangers. 
  • FULL SIZE: 16 fl oz @ $19
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.5 fl oz
  • VALUE: $0.59









OVERALL REVIEW ON THIS BOX...
I'm happy this month was fragrance-sample free! I'm just not into fragrances so I was super excited to not have another sample to toss into a bin for someone else.

The makeup items are fantastic, and I'm excited to use the face mask. The hair oil is so-so for now; I may feel differently after I try it. The only product I didn't like was the laundry detergent... or should I say laundry shampoo.

And this is just a personal pet peeve of mine, but there is no size printed on the face mask container and I can't find the size anywhere else! I love to do an exact value breakdown and that totally throws it off. I emailed Loren (from Birchbox; she's been incredibly helpful to me in the past) to ask for the size because if I don't get it I know it will be one of those things that just bothers me. I'm weird like that! Hopefully she'll know and I can report back with value info on that product and add that value amount to the total box value.

Additionally, I recently found out the Anastasia gloss is not 0.7 fl oz -- like Birchbox printed on their info card. It is, in fact, 0.07 fl oz.

This month, Birchbox seriously ticked me off with their size info -- both by providing me an inaccurate full size and by not including any size at all on a sample.



Let me know what you think...
Did you receive a Birchbox shipment this month? If so, what are your thoughts on your box box? From what I know, there were 17 different shipments that were sent out. Discuss in the comments below.




21 comments:

  1. OH EM GEE!!! I LOVE THIS BREAKDOWN!! I Have my own blog and never found a way to break it down... would it bother you if use this template?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing we got the same was the Bronzer. I just did a post on my Birchbox for October!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your math on the hair oil is off. .34 oz is closer to 1/10 the size of the full size product, so worth roughly $3.40 not $9...
    Thanks for the review! I just signed up for the box recently as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I received the Laura Geller Spackle in my box this month too. In my July box I had the hair oil. I like the oil and I think that the sample should last a loooong time. I used it for about two weeks and still have 97% or more of it. I've moved on to a some other oils at the moment. My box was a little better this time. A lot of creams. I'm not a cream person but I'm actually using them so at least they're not just just sitting there. I hope my next box has some fuller sized products or some makeup. My first two boxes were awesome, but maybe just to suck you in.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ AngieP: Hahaha, yes it is! Thanks for letting me know! I'm sick right now so I'm kind of out of it due to the meds making me drowsy. I just never completed the math for that one. I was supposed to take 9.94 into the $34 original price, which brings it to $3.40

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ iLOVEjaely: You're welcome to base your post set-up from what I do, but I would encourage you to make it different; something unique to your blog and your blogging style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the same exact box and I am so excited. I am using Pequi oil on my hair right now and I am excited to use the Amika oil to see the difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi I'm new to your blog! :) I love your pictures, I received the same box as you!

    -The Anastasia lip gloss full size is actually 0.07fl oz...and the sample we received is 0.03...which is roughly less than half, so the value would be around $9-10!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Sandy: The Birchbox card listed the size as 0.7 fl oz, which is why I listed that size and value. I didn't bother to look it up separately because usually Birchbox is spot on but I'll have to make a correction in my post to reflect the Birchbox error! Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing we had in common in our Birchboxes was the bronzer. Your Birchbox was much better than mine, but I'm not complaining. It's my first Birchbox and I'm happy. I really enjoy the breakdowns you do for each Birchbox. I look forward to these each month! Also, I took a tip from you and changed my profile to trendy AND classic instead of just classic. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww I like your box better than mine!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got the bronzer and the laundry soap. I would have loved the lip gloss but instead I got a "lip serum" which is ok. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got the bronzer primer and the laundry extra. I got a BeFine beet and chamomile lip serum which I am really liking (it is super glossy), and a different hair oil, Orofluido Elixer. I got an Ahava Cleansing Cream but I wish I got the mask you got, I've been looking to try one out. Please let us know how you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. we got the same box! Im super excited about this one, especially after I wasn't too keen on last months. Although I too am also irritated about the face mask not having a size on it. im anal like that too! actually how I ended up on your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Sarah: I'm glad I'm not the only one bothered by that kind of thing! I'll update all that if Birchbox ever gets back about that size.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Tokidoki lip glosses have that same paddle applicator. I thought it was weird at first but now I love it. I got the Spackle too but everything else was different!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ BeeHappy: I didn't know that about the Tokidoki glosses! I had ordered one but returned it without ever opening it because the shade was awful (different than it looked/was described online). The paddle is weird, but I also like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh, I love your box...hoping mine has some of these in it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is the tinted primer sparkly? It looks a little glittery close-up, but is it noticeable when you use it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ tightsandtea: Yes, all her tinted spackle's that I have (bronze and champagne) are glittery, but it's not chunky glitter by any means. Once you put makeup on top you can't notice it at all. Instead, it translate into a radiance - which, depending on the coverage level of your foundation, may look pretty and dewy to not-noticeable. I personally notice more of a glow using her champagne tinted spackle.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)