October 21, 2011

My First Franken: Smurf Disco!

Hello, Beautiful!

I made my first official franken! This was such a simple recipe with such beautiful results. I just mixed some blue holographic glitter with a clear base and ta-da: Smurf Disco! The end result is a pretty blue with scattered holographic glitter. It's a one-coat glitter too, but I ended up using two coats out of habit and because I was loving all the sparkle.

[shown above and below: indoors; regular camera flash]

Intentional blurred pic to show sparkle:

The downside of this polish is the formula is really thick, but goes on better than I expected. It's a hungry glitter too, so I used two coats of Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. All that is worth the effort because the end results are beautiful and full of sparkle! This is one of those polishes that doesn't photograph as beautiful as it really is. In person, this polish is very eye-catching and beautiful! It's like a blue disco ball, hence the name Smurf Disco. It's just been too cloudy here; I'll have to re-swatch this on a bright sunny day.

Check out the pics of my first official franken, which I showed using various lighting and the occasional intentional blurred pics to show the sparkle.


Valentine Kisses Franken
Shade: Smurf Disco
Shade Description: A clear base with bright blue scattered holographic glitter - which is all super micro square glitter. This also tends to be more of a blue-green, because of the flashes of green the glitter creates.
Details: Opaque in just one coat. Shown below using two coats and two coats of Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. Base coat is Essie's Ridge Filling Base Coat.




[Lighting shown in photos below: indoor; studio lighting]



































[Lighting shown in photos below: indoor; regular camera flash]





The glitter I used:


My franken matched the new sparkly reindeer I purchased at Hobby Lobby:





[Lighting shown in photos below: outdoor; no flash; cloudy/some sun]







Being as this is my first official franken I'm pretty proud of myself. It was a super easy mix: just clear polish as the base -- I used a mix of Milani and Wet n Wild Crystalic clear polish -- and a blue holographic craft glitter. I didn't measure anything, so I can't give an exact recipe. I just added glitter until I felt happy with the consistency and the way it applied. When I got it to a one-coat glitter I knew I had struck a perfect balance, even though it is a little thick. It reminds me of the Milani One Coat Glitters. 

More frankens are in my future!

Now let me know what you think...
Do you like this franken shade? Do you franken? Discuss in the comments below.

28 comments:

  1. Oh my, that's a really great franken you've made! Loving the blue colour, as well as the name you gave it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is beautiful. Plus the name is incredibly cute, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blue! I love it! Even if mixing it was easy, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice!
    http://shoppingchepassione.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so pretty! i have a thing for blue glitters :) btw your pics are so good, they look like digitally made pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! Dude, that is a gorgeous polish and you hit it out of the park, your first time out. :D

    I have to get my hiney out to Prescott Valley and go to Hobby Lobby. I neeeeeed that sparkly blue reindeer! In fact, maybe I need a pair of them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! How funny is that that it went with your reindeer? Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Ice Queen: The sparkly reindeer are on sale right now for 40% off! I picked up one large blue one ($14.99 regular price) and 3 smaller ones - the blue (which is shown in the photo), a pink one, and a green one ($9.99 regular price). I would never pay regular price for them... okay, I would haha, but right now I can't pay regular price so I was happy to get 40% off. They are so sparkly in person... you seriously NEED them in your life haha :)


    And thanks ladies for the compliments on my franken! I'm going to go buy more of that glitter, but the other shades available, because it's so pretty and made a beautiful polish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, that's the best color! &I love sparkles. I've never bought Franken nail polish but I'd like to now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is gooooorgeous! i'm totally jealous of how awesome this came out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the name of this franken! And also this franken looks very very pretty! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it just cause of the name!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I am kind of addicted to frankening as of late. Have had some hits and misses! The favorite one I've made looks almost exactly like OPI's Mermaid's Tears. My two biggest fails were trying to add mylar flakies and hexagonal glitter to clear polish. It disintegrated the glitter and the flakies and was just a gloopy mess. I am interested in possibly adding a mineral shimmer loose eye shadow (that I rarely wear)into some clear polish, to see how that turns out! It was cheap, so if it fails, no big loss! Is the blue glitter you used just from a regular store like WalMart or Joann Fabrics? I'm curious to try doing that too, since I just bought a bunch of gorgeous orange, bronze and gold glitters to decorate my pumpkins for Halloween...

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ kurisutiina: I made a fail franken a few years ago doing the same mistake as you, using the mylar flakies and having it just bled into the polish and basically die. That's why I never attempted to franken again, until now :)

    Yes, the glitter I used for this franken I purchased at Hobby Lobby for $3.47. I can't remember the name of it but I will post info on it in the future when I list some recipes. The one thing I want to point out is it was a polyester glitter -- no bleeding at all! I'm not sure if that makes all the difference, but it may!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What kind of glitter did you use and did it bleed? I love the color you made!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is quite possibly my most favourite polish. It's INCREDIBLE

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a beautiful glitter polish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Amber: I have no idea what brand of glitter it was. I purchased it at Hobby Lobby for $3.47. It did not bleed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, my, gosh! That franken is SUPER gorgeous. And I love Hobby Lobby :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow :) beautiful :) shame that it's not for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super duper gorgeous!! (and wow. that is a *very* blue raindeer)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that is such a gorgeous color!!! It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am absolutely in love with this!!!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)