October 8, 2011

NOTD: Times Square Night Lights

Hello, Beautiful!

Today's NOTD is one that looks far prettier in person than it does in pictures. In person you can really see a beautiful rainbow of color, great sparkle, and you don't notice all the air bubbles from the layers of top coat I used (which show up like a sore thumb with my photography lights and close photos).

I'm calling this NOTD Times Square Night Lights because that's the first thing that popped into my head as what it reminded me of. You know, like if you were to take a picture of the lights all blurred and they create those dots of color. This was an unintentional combo too; I had originally used the glitter over top white and over top gray (which I also like and will eventually show too). Then I layered it on black just to see and I was like "wow, that's going on my nails NOW!". Check it out...




To re-create this NOTD:

  • Deborah Lippmann Hard Rock Hydrating Hardener, used as my base coat
  • 1 coat of Wet n Wild Wild Shine polish in Black Creme
  • Once that is dry, apply any clear coat to the nail - working one or two nails at a time -  and sprinkle the glitter on top. I do this over top a piece of paper so I can funnel the un-used glitter back into the jar. The trick is not applying too much; you want a nice even layer of the glitter so the rainbow of colors can show through against the black polish.
  • When the clear coat has dried, you can remove any glitter around the nail and excess glitter on top. I use one of my larger nail art paint brushes. You can also lightly press the glitter onto your nail to make sure it's really in there (best to do before it completely dries or it won't work, but you don't want to do it too early or it will smudge).
  • I waited 5 or so minutes, then applied my first coat of Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. 
  • Because this is a hungry glitter, meaning it likes to eat up top coat, I ended up applying two more coats of Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat.



Please try to ignore all the air bubbles from the multiple layers of top coat. They are not noticeable in person like they are under my studio lights and close-up photos.














18 comments:

  1. wow this is INCREDIBLE! i love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the kind of polish application I love making really thick, then when I'm ready to remove I just end up peeling it off. I know peeling off nail polish is really bad, but I love doing it so much. Only one nail seems to take exception to it and its a little jerk that doesn't like anything, it just wants to break all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the glitter looks really pretty! And I do agree with your naming choice; it does look like city lights at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ sunnydee130: lol, you're funny! I know what you mean about peeling off polish. It's bad for your nails but sometimes is just a habit we get into! Sometimes I find myself picking at thicker polishes, like this mani, and peeling some off. Then I quickly stop myself and start soaking in acetone and scrubbing with a q-tip while my nails are in the acetone. That method actually removed this main very quickly and effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and I should mention I didn't want to remove this mani, but I was doing swatches of the Material Girl nail polish I have (4 shades) and sadly had to take this mani off. I'll do it again the future though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh I love this!!! It reminds me of the Rainbow Fish books!!! :D Very awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ babypanda: I didn't even think of that, but you're totally right! My son has one of those books too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, amazing! :) I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow!!! This mani looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea and such a chic nails! I have to try this! *_* :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this manicure!!! It's soooo beautiful... I will try it :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first saw it I knew it reminded me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it! I had those books when I was a child, I loved them! Now I want to do a similar design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy moly - this is incredible!!! This would be an awesome party look.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)