October 26, 2011

Nutra Nail Gel Perfect UV-Free Gel Color in Lily Pink: swatches, pics, review

Hello, Beautiful!

Happy Pink Wednesday!


Today I was out shopping for items for my son's Halloween costume and made a pit stop at Walgreen's (to check for nail polish, of course). Up high on top of a shelf I found the Nutra Nail Gel Perfect UV-Free Gel Color. Only four shades were available (all boring shades in my opinion), but I picked the most interesting one to me, which was Lily Pink. It's a medium bright pink; a bubble gum or Barbie-like pink. Did I like it? Read my review at the end of this post to find out, and for now...

Check out my pics, swatches, stats, and review...

Nutra Nail Gel Perfect UV-Free Gel Color
Shade: Lily Pink
Shade Description: A medium bright pink; bubble gum or Barbie-pink in description; no shimmer.





  



 



 
























Instructions/Details:


















Basic stats for Nutra Nail Gel Perfect UV-Free Gel Color:
Formula: a UV-free gel nail color
Coverage: requires two coats
Wear: ?
Shade Info: 12 shades on the Nutra Nail website
Cost/Availability: Cost varies; $10 to $14 depending where you shop. Available at drugstores and on Ulta's website.
Packaging: a 3-step system
My Rating: 3 out of 5 Kisses


Formula:
This is a 3-step, UV-Free gel nail color. Be warned: the Activator is very irritating to eyes! I'll explain more in my review below.

Coverage:
Product states it requires two coats; I would even say three coats depending on the shade or how thin you apply it (and to what you prefer).


Wear:
I'm not sure how long these will wear because I removed them right after I took the photos. I've read mixed reviews so I can only recommend you test drive them yourself before making a judgement.


Shade Info:
When I purchased these at Walgreen's there were only 4 shades, but on Nutra Nail's website there are a total of 12 shades.


Cost/Availability:
I paid nearly $15 with tax for this ($13.99 plus 5% sales tax). I had no clue how much it was because there was no price, but I kind of assumed it wouldn't be more than $10 to $12. I was wrong when I checked out and now I'm mad to see it's less at Ulta (plus I would have used my 20% off coupon, making it even cheaper). I'm returning this to Walgreen's if I'm able to. Not all that happy with the product, and seriously unhappy with the high price I paid there.


Packaging:
This is a 3-step system, which all comes packaged in a box. Includes instructions.


Nutra Nail Gel Perfect UV-Free Gel Color Review:
I have to admit that I'm not into the whole gel nails, long-wearing color, trend. I just don't have a need for that because I like to change my nails daily or at least every other day. Sure, sometimes I need a break from doing my nails or I'm going on vacation and don't want to do my nails, but that's usually when I reach for nail strips (like Sally Hansen's Salon Effects or Incoco's nail strips). But I figured this was a great way to try it out because I wouldn't need to purchase a UV or LED light to make it work.

I was excited to try it, especially because today is Pink Wednesday. Let me first say how strong smelling this stuff is.... do your nails near an open window or at least in a well ventilated room! You might not realize how strong it smells until you're done, walk out of the room and come back in (because by the time you're done you get kind of used to it). It's strong.

Not to mention this stuff is very irritating to your eyes, at least to my eyes it was! It's the Activator that really burned them. Everyone will react differently; you may have no reaction or you may be like me and your eyes will water and you'll yell out some curse words.

This is one product where you have to work fast, but not too fast. You work one hand at a time. You apply the Activator to all nails, then go back and apply the color. You then move onto the next hand, doing the same thing, then go back to the first hand and repeat the steps again for your second coat. You also need to clean the polish brush in the brush cleaner. You just switch out the brushes (switch with the cleaner) so you can keep working. You'll need to clean your brush/switch it out every 5 nails to avoid getting it clumpy or applying streaky.

You'll want to apply the color and activator as good as you possibly can. Clean-up afterwards is a real pain in the ass. Once it hardens (which happens quickly; about 2 to 3 minutes) it will take an army of acetone to battle this stuff. Cleaning off your skin isn't too bad, but cleaning up around the nail edges is hell - especially if your polish flood the nail bed, which mine did on several nails during the first coat.

I do have to say that it does set-up really quickly, which was a nice point. It was really chip resistant and dent resistant after 5 minutes. I wasn't worried about messing them up before taking photos of them. The color was nice too; the pink went well with my skin tone and was a pink I personally like.

However, like I said, I'm just not into the whole gel nails thing. I know this isn't truly like gel nails but it's a nice  (cheaper) alternative. It's great for anyone who does like to wear the same mani for a week before changing polish. It's a fun new thing to try, if you're looking to change up your nail routine.

For the price I paid (nearly $15), was it worth it? No, not in my opinion. The amount of polish you get is so small - it's 0.17 fl oz! I mean, seriously?! And let's not even get into how the brush cleaner easily knocked over when I was trying to clean the brush and I spilled half of it. I think the application method is a bit messy, at least until I perfect the way I apply it, but I'm not going to bother with that. If I had gotten this for around $8 to $10 I would keep it and use it in the future, but right now I'm not sure I can justify $15 for a product that wasn't great to me and really irritated my eyes!

Overall I rate this product a 3 out of 5 kisses, right down the middle, because I don't hate it but it's not for me. I hope I can return mine. Anyone know the Walgreen's return policy on opened cosmetic items?


Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this polish? Do you own this? Discuss in the comments below.



11 comments:

  1. Crystal, as long as you have your receipt, Walgreens should have no problem accepting the kit back. Yes, even if it's opened. They have a great return policy when it comes to cosmetics!
    Excellent review, by the way. All those steps are WAY too much for me. I think I'll just stick with regular polish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is something completely new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven´t heard of this polish before, but I would like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to try it also but for such small bottles too pricey..

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ MrsIvan2004: Thanks for the info! My husband is going to stop by the Walgreen's near his work today to return it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I might try this. I like how simple they made it and I don't have bubble gum color yet. Thx for the review =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I just used this today as well and have my bad review going up sometime this week. I'm with you -- I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i bought the bright pink and applied it last night... it was easy and quick, this morning my nails look great. i'll post again in a week and advise how they held up, i type all day so this should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so far so good - just applied it tonight and didnt have any problems - I could probably use a third coat but dont have time right now - i will see how it lasts w/ chipping or not chipping. i am neat and it didnt get on my skin. The smell didnt bother me at all - I think it just smells like nail glue and looks like nail glue and it probably IS nail glue - I used the fuchsia color and like it - it is very shiny. It dried very fast and I could get my kids dinners made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Craig: I'm glad to hear this product is working great for you. I'm surprised the smell doesn't bother you... I guess we all have different sensitivity levels. For example, my right eye watered and stung so badly, but my left eye was barely bothered, lol. It does smell a bit like nail glue, but also a bit like acrylic liquid too... maybe a mix of both!

    I agree with you when it comes to how it looks... I liked the look. I've seen photos on other blogs where the polish looks terrible and they used two coats like I did. For me, it was smooth and shiny and like you, I could have used a third coat but it wasn't absolutely needed.

    Again, I'm glad to hear some positive feedback on this! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a good products, I think I'll give it a try next time I'm in the nail polish section.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)