January 21, 2012

New Beauty Test Tube - QVC Limited Edition - January 2012

Hello, Beautiful!

It seems like forever since the last QVC New Beauty Test Tube shipment (the last shipment was in October 2011). I was excited to open this shipment because there are great items this time around that I've had on my "want-to-try" list; although I've loved all my QVC New Beauty Test Tubes! The value is once again over $100! Two full sized products and the rest are generous sized deluxe samples.

In case you want to buy your own, click here for a link to the test tube on QVC's website (the link will not work once they remove it from their website). The cost is $29.96 plus $6.97 shipping & handling. I get mine on auto-delivery so I never miss a shipment.

Enough talk, let's check out everything included...

New Beauty Test Tube - QVC Limited Edition
January 2012










Shipment Quick Stats:
  • Total value of this shipment WITH magazine: $120.96 (value is approximate)
  • Total value of this shipment withOUT magazine: $111.01 (value is approximate)
  • Total # of items: 9 
  • # of makeup items: 2
  • # of nail items: 0
  • # of skincare items: 2
  • # of body care items: 3
  • # of hair care items: 2
  • # of other items: 0

Now I'll break it down, product-by-product...


MALLY Volumizing Mascara
  • DESCRIPTION: Despite a nonstop schedule filled with red-carpet premiers, music videos and celebrity photo shoots, Mally Roncal always finds time to share her expert makeup tips and positive energy with QVC viewers. In fact, the Q was the first to carry her beloved line of cosmetics. We know you'll adore this volumizing mascara's unique formula infused with natural waxes and carefully chosen powders that creates the look of full, luxurious lashes and has been a QVC Customer Choice Award winner for two consecutive years. The plush brush works with the powders to help thicken lashes without clumping, giving you gorgeous volume that lasts.
  • MORE INFO: Combines Mally's favorite Italian mascara, a special powder from the Orient and a French-inspired brush. The plush brush works with the powders in the formula to help thicken lashes without clumping, giving your lashes a boost that lasts. You'll get evenly coated lashes that appear longer but feel lightweight, and it won't flake on your cheeks.
  • FUN FACT: Fans of this mascara include celebrities from the film, TV and music industries. 
  • TO USE: Apply to lashes from base to tip. For luminous lashes, apply one coat, let dry, and than apply a second coat. Repeat until you've got the lash look you love.
  • MY THOUGHTS: This mascara is my go-to mascara of choice! I didn't open this tube for photos because I've already photographed this in the past and I plan to keep this tube as another back-up (currently making it my 3rd un-opened tube of this mascara, which I keep in my mascara makeup drawer). This is almost the only mascara I use (I still like Benefit's They're Real! Mascara and MUFE Smoky Lash Mascara). This works great, although I'll be honest and say I've gotten a bad tube twice (one where the wand scrapper thing didn't work and it came out in huge chunks and another where the formula was very dry). But when it's good, it's really good. I love this mascara!
  • FULL SIZED: 0.39 fl oz @ $20.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.39 fl oz (I received a FULL SIZED tube)
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $20.00





TARTE Aqua-Gel Eyeliner in Navy
  • DESCRIPTION: Infused with ultra-rich pigments by way of hydrous pigmentation technology, this revolutionary vitamin-infused aqua-gel eyeliner makes defining your eyes a cinch. The formula glides on like pure silk and won't move throughout your busy day.
  • MORE INFO: A revolutionary way to deliver color. Rich color pigments are suspended in 50% water in this formula to soothe and soften the skin. Pure water, aloe leaf extract and cucumber work together to hydrate and retain moisture balance around the delicate eye area.
  • MORE INFO: Define and contour without dragging, pulling, or skipping. The high-pigment concentration and staying power of a gel pot is now available in an effortless pencil. No brush required!
  • TO USE: Twist up the wand very slightly, and glide across the entire lash line for richly and precisely defined eyes. Due to the creamy texture of this formula, do not over advance the tip to prevent breakage. A little is all you need to achieve rich color intensity. This liner is not intended for the inner rim.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I've always wanted to try one of these liners, so it was nice to receive a full sized version in my Test Tube. There are four shades going around in all the test tubes, all are colors -- there is a green, teal, plum, and navy. I really wanted the navy and I was pleasantly surprised to open my test tube and find the navy blue shade! That's where my excitement ended. I love the color; it's dark enough to wear during the day and the blue really brightens and brings out my brown eyes. But the formula wasn't as creamy as I was hoping for. It was a bit stiff and didn't go on as nice as I was expecting. Still, it's better than others I've tried and it's a nice liner to have. Although I would not buy another.
  • FULL SIZED: 0.003 oz @ $18.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.003 oz (I received a FULL SIZED liner)
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $18.00
   



 






KATE SOMERVILLE ExfoliKate
  • DESCRIPTION: Get Kate's signature facial at home! ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment clarifies and polishes skin to reveal a glowing, healthy-looking complexion after just one treatment.
  • MORE INFO: Scrubbing microbeads and three powerful P's -- Papaya, Pineapple and Pumpkin Enzymes -- are designed to effectively clean pores. Salicylic acid is designed to balance hydration, without over-drying. Aloe vera, honey, and vitamin E smooth and soften skin. Rosewood and cinnamon extracts are combined in an effort to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
  • DID YOU KNOW: Clinical results show that 75% of users reported a reduction in skin roughness and dullness and 88% said they had smoother skin and improved texture.
  • TO USE: Use once or twice each week, morning or evening, to keep skin radiant. Apply a thin, even layer to a clean, wet face, massaging in a circular motion for 30 seconds. Leave on for up to two minutes. Rinse off with warm water and gently pat dry. This product may cause the skint o flush slightly for a short time. For sensitive skin, leave on for less than one minute.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I've had small sample packets of this in the past, and I've used and sort of liked it. I didn't get a good enough test drive of the formula, so it's nice to have a larger sample size to test out. Although I did just get the Kate Somerville Blemish Banisher Kit from Sephora, which has the same deluxe sample size of the ExfoliKate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment, which is basically the same thing but for acne prone skin. I plan to alternate between both sample tubes, using the original version when my skin is behaving and using the acne version when my skin is breaking out. I've used the original version (the one in this test tube) and this time around I LOVED it. My skin was baby butt soft in minutes!
  • FULL SIZED: 0.5 fl oz @ $19.00 (a full sized tube is actually 2 oz @ $85, but Sephora sells a 0.5 fl oz size)
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.5 fl oz
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $19.00








FIRST AID BEAUTY Ultra Repair Cream Intense Therapy
  • DESCRIPTION: FAB Ultra Repair Cream provides temporary relief and visible improvement for severely dry or distressed skin. The luxuriously rich, non-greasy cream has a whipped texture that is packed with ingredients to hydrate, heal and protect the skin. It absorbs with exceptional penetration, leaving behind a smooth, soft finish.
  • MORE INFO: This formula with colloidal oatmeal, shea butter, allantoin and ceramides hydrates, calms and soothes skin and temporarily relieves minor skin irritation and itching due to eczema and other conditions. It can be used on the face and all over the body.
  • MORE INFO: The regular application of antioxidants helps protect the skin from the damaging effects of the environment. FAB Antioxidant Booster is a blend of powerful antioxidants known to botanical science, including licorice root, feverfew and white tea extracts, to combat free radical damage.
  • MORE INFO: At FAB, the packaging says what the products do, and the products do what they say. FAB keeps the packaging simple, assuring customers that resources are spent on what goes into, and not onto, the bottle.
  • DID YOU KNOW: Colloidal oatmeal is FDA-approved for the treatment of eczema.
  • TO USE: Apply to skin as needed (face and/or body).
  • MY THOUGHTS: The First Aid Beauty brand is a brand I've always wanted to try out, but for some reason never have. I don't plan to use this on my face, because I have so many moisturizers I'm currently trying to rotate between, but I've used this on my body. It melts into your skin very quickly, which was impressive, but I didn't think it had the moisture level I was expecting. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I think I was expecting something more. In all fairness, my skin is super dry at the moment; recovering from surgery has dried out my skin like you wouldn't believe, plus the cold winter air doesn't help. Nothing seems to do a perfect job at the moment, but this did a good job. My husband, however, has taken this tube and uses it on his face. He has some mild eczema and sensitive skin; this cream is a near perfect match for him!
  • FULL SIZED: 2 fl oz @ $12.00 (a full sized jar is 6 oz @ $28, but Sephora sells a 2 of tube)
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 2 fl oz
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $12.00
 






PHILOSOPHY Field Of Flowers Perfumed Body Lotion and Perfume Shampoo, Shower Gel & Bubble Bath
  • DESCRIPTION: Philosophy has captured the essence of a field of flowers and infused it into its 3-in-1 shampoo, shower gel & bubble bath formula and into it's ultra-rich, hydrating body lotion.
  • MORE INFO: Infused with the fresh floral scent of peony. The "philosophy" behind this product is "stop and smell the flowers". A flower is the embodiment of everything that is right and beautiful in this world. The luxurious body lotion contains shea butter, and olive fruit and macadamia seed oils to moisten, soothe and soften dry skin so it feels silky smooth and extremely touchable.
  • FUN FACT: In Chinese medicine, the peony was often used for its soothing properties, but the flower could only be picked at night because of superstition.
  • TO USE: Shower Gel: Apply to wet body or scalp, lather, rinse, repeat. If using as a bubble bath, drizzle a generous amount under running water and enjoy. Lotion: Apply a generous amount to skin with fingertips and massage in gently with circular motion.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I am not a floral scent type of person, so these are not my cup of tea at all. But I have to admit the scent isn't too strong or over powering. It's light and fresh, and certainly does remind me of a field of flowers, but it's not for me. These are going to my grandmom.
  • FULL SIZED: 16 fl oz @ $16.00 (shower gel); 16 fl oz @ $24.00 (lotion)
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 1 fl oz each bottle
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $1.00 (shower gel); $1.50 (lotion)








CALISTA TOOLS Achieve 10 Styling Cream
  • DESCRIPTION: Calista founder Maria McCool's clients wanted a hair product that addressed their Top 10 hair needs. Her solution to scoring perfect hair: Achieve 10, a lightweight styling cream formulated with nourishing argan oil.
  • MORE INFO: Achieve 10 controls frizz and adds shine, for smooth, silky hair. It increases hair body and fullness without being sticky. The cream restores damaged hair, plus detangles, reducing breakage. Blocks the effects of humidity, guards against heat styling and protects hair.
  • FUN FACT: In 1989, Maria McCool opened the doors to her salon, Calista, which means "most beautiful". More than 1,000 clients visit the salon each week. All product ideas go through grassroots testing on actual clients.
  • TO USE: Apply to towel-dried and/or dry hair. Rub dime-sized amount into the palms of your hands, apply directly to hair and style as usual.
  • MY THOUGHTS: This is the first Calista Tools product I've ever owned. I've been curious about this brand, always seeing them on QVC and being interested in what they have to offer. I haven't tried this out yet, but I'm looking forward to.
  • FULL SIZED: 4 fl oz @ $21.25
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 2 fl oz
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $10.63
 






TRADITIONS BY NICK CHAVEZ Yucca Root Shampooing Cream
  • DESCRIPTION: Traditions Yucca Root Shampooing Cream is formulated to cleanse, restore and provide ultimate hydration and moisture to your hair. This rich and luxurious cream is highly effective on hair that is chemically treated or has a tendency to be dry or brittle. Leaves your hair feeling and looking balanced, healthy, shiny and beautiful.
  • MORE INFO: Yucca root is used by Native Americans and to make hair shiny and beautiful. Yucca root and wild yam are home remedies for healthier hair and a cleaner scalp. Rich, luxurious, creamy formula hydrates hair. Effective for dry, brittle and chemically treated hair.
  • FUN FACT: Traditions by Nick Chavez is based on the ancient traditions and home remedies used in Nick's Latino and American Indian culture, mixed with modern technology. Each product contains ingredients from Nick's upbringing in the American Southwest.
  • TO USE: Wet hair thoroughly with water, apply a small amount of shampoo on hand and massage into root area of hair. Rinse with cool water. Follow with Nick Chavez's Traditions Conditioning Cream.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I'm curious about this, but not that curious. I will likely try it, but I will be honest and say it will be awhile before I give this a try. I'm in a routine with my hair, especially since I dye parts of my hair navy blue, so I'm really picky right now. I'm not as open to testing other shampoos at the moment. I know my hair won't have blue in it forever (at some point I plan to go back to my natural color all over), so I'll give this a try at that time.
  • FULL SIZED: 8 fl oz @ $39.00 for BOTH the shampoo & conditioner, making it $19.50
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 2 fl oz
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $4.88
 






OLEHENRIKSEN Truth Serum Collagen Booster
  • DESCRIPTION: Olehenriksen Truth Serum Booster is loaded with antioxidants to fight off environmental aggressors and moisture-binding ingredients to keep skin nourished and protected.
  • MORE INFO: Packed with vitamin C -- a protective antioxidant that calms, heals, brightens and evens skin tone. Powerful antioxidants fight free-radical damage. The aromatic, oil-free formula penetrates the skin to hydrate and smooth. Perfect for all ages and skin types.
  • FUN FACT: Truth Serum was recently awarded "Miracle Worker" of the year by Natural Health magazine.
  • TO USE: Apply daily, in the morning, to face and neck as your first step before moisturizing. May be used under the eyes.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I've heard so many great things about this product, and I have sample packets of it that I haven't used yet. This deluxe sample is enough to last me a long time (it's half the full sized version!) and I fully plan to incorporate this into my skincare routine. I'm actually very excited to begin using it!
  • FULL SIZED: 1 fl oz @ $48.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.5 fl oz
  • SAMPLE VALUE: $24.00
 






NEW BEAUTY Magazine
  • DESCRIPTION: This magazine is sold by itself for $9.95. It's a larger magazine that covers a wide range of beauty topics; from makeup to skincare to plastic surgery. To me, it's a fun read and I always learn something new.




Now let me know what you think...
Did you receive a New Beauty QVC Test Tube this month? If so, what did you think of this shipment? If not, is this something you'd be interested in receiving? Discuss in the comments below.

10 comments:

  1. I ordered the auto delivery option as well, because I just love these tubes. This time around its sort of meh in my opinion, but its still wonderful. I love 4 of the 9 and the others friend and family like so its like little gifts I can give. I received the plum eyeliner in my tube and was surprised how you said yours is stiff. Mine feels so so soft and slippery that I can see if I used it everyday it only lasting about two weeks or a little longer because it just seems to melt onto my eyelid. If I could get them on sale I'd probably like the try a few other colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you are amazing for doing this post. I know how much time it takes to blog, edit photos and all that stuff, so thank you! I've heard about it before, and the price is just very reasonable. I will check it out :)

    by the way, I'm Becky and I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh I just bought it and signed up for the auto delivery--thanks for the tip!!! And this was BEFORE I read your review, so I'm extra excited! I've signed up for the "regular" tube and will get that soon--pretty sure I heard about that from you as well--you rock, thanks for being my enabler ;) xoxo Hope you're recovering quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ sunnydee130: I wonder if the Tarte liners are hit or miss? I've read other reviews that stated their Tarte liners were stiff too. You must be one of the lucky ones; or maybe it has to do with which color you received? Either way, I agree that it probably wouldn't last long. Mine broke already and I didn't over extend the tip.

    @ EveryDay Makeup blog: Welcome to my blog! :)

    @ The Craft Angel: I'm happy to be an enabler of great beauty products :) So glad to hear you're going to receive the Test Tube! And... I'm recovery good, well for the most part. One small issue that will go away soon (I hope). Either way, it's been slowing down my progress on my blog. I will be back on track soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know they even did that kind of thing. That's awesome, I am a new follower. Great blog.



    SavGrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cats, I had to update--THANK YOU for telling me about NBTT!!!

    I got my first one (the "regular" one, waiting on the QVC one) and ZOMG the value was (including the magazine and 50 coupon off 200 at spalook.com) $216. I AM NOT KIDDING!! Now some of the stuff is very high priced and I wouldn't purchase full size but wow, the opportunity to try these things--and there were A LOT--is awesome! And I had several full size products (even if full size was "one application").

    SO VERY HAPPY!

    xoxoxo You rock my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ The Crafty Angel: I am SO happy that you are thrilled with New Beauty Test Tube!! The regular test tubes seem to have a slightly higher value than the QVC version, but both are great values! I cancelled the regular test tube because I wanted more makeup items and it seemed the QVC version offered a more varied selection of items, whereas the regular test tube seemed to be mostly skincare (which is great too). I just had to choose one or the other at that time, so I went with QVC version on auto-delivery.

    I may go back to the regular test tube in a year or two when we have extra money. My surgery really put us back slightly, so my beauty budget is way cut down, lol. Currently the monthly subscription services I get are Birchbox, Beauty Army, MyGlam, and QVC version of New Beauty Test Tube. I was getting Go Go Girlfriend but cancelled. I have gotten Beauty Fix in the past too --- which I actually won two seasons and that was wonderful! It's the highest priced one of all that I've mentioned in this comment, but you get a lot of full sized samples. Well worth the money. I'm actually considering signing back up. It's just 4 times a year, but it's still $50 per "season".

    There are so many subscription services coming out, so I'm trying to be very selective now. Like Julep just wasn't that appealing to me. I am a nail polish fanatic, and the thought of an all-nail related service sound like a dream come true, but I didn't see much value there and of course it's all one brand. I'm sure more subscription services will continue to pop up. I know there is Eco Emi, Beauty Mint, and I think there is one through Derm Store (but I don't remember). I'm sure there are more. I want to receive them ALL, lol.

    Anyhow, I really am thrilled you are enjoying your test tube. I can't wait for you to get the QVC one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ The Crafty Angel: I also wanted to mention I just signed up for Beauty Fix!

    If you use the code BFBLOG you'll get $30 off your first shipment! Making it just $19.99!!!!!!

    It is an INSANE deal, and you know why? Because guess what product was one of the 8 products I could choose to receive? The LaROCCA C-Gold Reparative Primer!!! Yup, the one that is $90 and that I recently raved about! I signed up just to get that primer (you get the full sized, 1 oz bottle!!!!). I also picked 7 other products, most full sized. I feel like I am getting a steal of a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so jealous! I kept missing out on the QVC version after months of trying to catch it, but in Oct, I broke down & ordered the New Beauty one. I HATE IT! The first one that I got in Nov. was okay, I guess, but it wasn't anything to rave over. I was excited when my 2nd one came 2 weeks ago...until I opened it. NO full size products what so ever (ridiculous, but they justified it by saying that the Venomax sample was $75 on its own just for the sample). Basically, the entire box was anti-aging skin care samples which, as a 25 year old, I could truly care less about. Needless to say, I cancelled my subscription right then bc it just wasn't worth the $40 to me. I'm really really hoping I can catch the next round of QVC tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ BreAnnNicole: I had the same thoughts as you regarding the products I received in the original New Beauty Test Tube. That's why I prefer the QVC version. It's possible the Venomax sample was valued at $75 though; it all breaks down to how much product you're getting in the sample compared to the full sized to determine the value. I've gotten tiny samples in the past and was shocked at how high-value some of them were! Before I ever started doing a value breakdown on samples I never even considered samples to be valuable, other than the fact you get to test something out. Now I'm all for samples, lol! But like you, I'm also in my 20's... although I'm on the late 20's end (I'll be 28 in a couple months), and don't find much need right now for a ton of anti-aging products. I do, however, believe you should start using anti-aging products before you see the signs. I started using anti-aging products when I was 20 because I thought I'd get a leg-up on my aging. I still look really young, but that has more to do with genetics than it does with products :)
    I hope you can get your hands on the QVC test tube!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)