January 2, 2012

YSL (Yves Saint Laurent) Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm Crystal Color in #4 Succulent Pomegranate -- swatches, pics, review

Hello, Beautiful!

Any YSL product is a splurge for me, but this is one splurge I'm happy about (plus, it's a fun way to spend gift cards). I'm absolutely in love with their Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm Crystal Color. I picked up the shade #4 Succulent Pomegranate, which is a sheer bright pink.

What I love about this balm is how pretty the color goes on, how amazing it feels on my lips, and how long-lasting it is. I love it so much I can't wait to try out more shades in the future.

Check out my pics, swatches, stats, and review...

YSL (Yves Saint Laurent) Volupte Sheer Candy
Glossy Balm Crystal Color
Shade: #04 Succulent Pomegranate
Shade Description: A sheer bright pink; no shimmer but plenty of juicy shine.


 





 




















YSL Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm Crystal Color PRO's & CON's:
PRO's: hydrating, pretty color, long lasting
CON's: expensive


Basic stats for YSL Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm Crystal Color:
Formula: stick balm
Coverage: sheer color
Wear: long wearing
Shade Info: currently available in six shades
Cost/Availability: $30 (0.14 oz full size). Available on Sephora's website and everywhere else YSL cosmetics are sold.
Packaging: rounded silver tube with YSL logo matching the color of the balm; pull-off cap; twist-up balm
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses!


Formula:
This balm is phenomenal. Vitamin and antioxidant-rich fruit extracts are packed in this ultra-light, sheer color, hydrating balm. Can hydrate your lips for up to eight hours in a single use, and I find this to be completely true.

Coverage:
Sheer wash of pretty color.

Wear:
Long wearing for a balm. YSL states this balm can hydrate lips for up to 8 hours. I find this to be completely true. I was impressed with how long this balm lasted on my lips, not just the hydration factor (which is amazing) but also how the color stayed around.

Shade Info:
Currently available in six shades. I'd love to see even more! Currently I have two more shades on my wish list:  #02 Dewy Papaya (a sheer peach) and #06 Luscious Cherry (a sheer cherry red with golden shimmer). I also  think #01 Lush Coconut (a sheer nude beige with gold shimmer) looks like a gorgeous nude, so I guess that's on my wish list too. Then there is #03 Juicy Grapefruit (a sheer baby pink with golden shimmer), which is one I'd have to see in person first. It looks like it may show up way too sheer on my lips, and even though the hydration is wonderful in these balms, I still don't want to pay $30 for a nearly clear balm. The only shade I don't think I'd buy is #05 Mouthwatering Berry (a sheer reddish blackberry), only because it looks a bit too deep in tone for my taste, but I'd have to see it in person to determine how it shows up on my lips.

Cost/Availability:
$30 (0.14 oz full size). Available on Sephora's website and everywhere else YSL cosmetics are sold.

Packaging:
Rounded silver tube with YSL logo going around (gold) with matching gloss color behind it. Pull-off cap with twist-up balm.

YSL (Yves Saint Laurent) Volupte Sheer Candy Glossy Balm Crystal Color Review:
YSL products, for me, are a big splurge. I don't have many and lust after almost everything they make. The first YSL product I ever purchased was a gloss, which I purchased from a discount beauty website because back then I couldn't even afford to splurge on a full priced YSL product. Of course now we're better off financially (after working our butts off for three years, paying off bills and now allowing ourselves to be comfortable), but I still have a hard time spending $30 on a lip balm. However, with all that being said, this is one splurge I'm proud of. This is one lip balm that feels luxurious every time I use it, and makes my lips feel & look beautiful.

First, let me talk about how this balm looks. The stick of color looks plastic-like, that's how shiny and perfect it arrives. It was so pretty that I couldn't use it until I photographed it because I needed to show you all how perfect it arrives. It still looks shiny after you start using it, but never as plastic-like perfect as when it first arrives.

The scent/taste is fruity, although I can't put my finger on the exact fruit taste. I don't know if other shades have different flavors, which may go with the shade names (coconut, cherry, etc.); I'll have to get back on that when I splurge on another in the future.

The color is so pretty. It looks very bright  in the tube but goes on sheer. It still is a bright pink, but a juicy bright pink (a similar brightness to Tarina Tarantino Gem Gloss in Neon Vanity).

I really wasn't too surprised with how hydrating these were, because I expect greatness from the YSL brand, but what I was surprised at is how long lasting this balm was. The color stuck around much longer than expected, as did the hydration.

Are there cheaper alternatives? Of course there are. This is just a tinted lip balm if you really want to break it down to the core. Fresh Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment is slightly cheaper ($22.50) and does the same thing. Then there are the Maybelline Baby Lips tinted lip balms, which are great for just $3 a pop. And the new L'Oreal Colour Riche Balms, which are about $6 each (I have three shades to share with you all soon). So while it's hard to spend $30 on a balm when you know there are cheaper alternatives to, it's also a luxury item that feels good to use and the color is different from the other tinted lip balms I own. It's like buying a pair of designer shoes, but knowing you can find a cheaper option at Payless; they may look the same and serve the same purpose, but one is always going to feel better and make you feel more luxurious. Sometimes it's nice to have luxury items, especially a balm that works beautifully and looks beautiful on.

Overall, yes, I would absolutely recommend this balm!


Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this tinted lip balm? Have you tried this balm? If so, what shade do you have? What do you think of shade #4 Succulent Pomegranate? Discuss in the comments below.



7 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd ever purchase it. If I want something for that price, it must be something that seriously amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Lush Coconut (I bought during Sephora's VIB event) and it is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ GirlieAndGlamorous: I thought it would be pretty amazing. Ugh, why does this balm have to cost so much? It's absolutely amazing. I can't stop using it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don´t have any YSL products, but I would like to try some. This sounds like a very good product. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not all that crazy about a lot of YSL stuff, and their gold-heavy packaging doesn't appeal, but they do indeed make some SUPER lip products! Their "Golden Gloss" line is marvelous -- ultra shiny, great texture, just enough sparkle, very comfortable, and I love the fruity scent. Mango, maybe? It's fresh and vibrant and more like perfume / less like candy than fruity-scented glosses usually are. This balm looks awesome as well... I'll have to take a look next time I'm makeup shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this in lush coconut and dewey papaya and I can't get enough of it. I just wish they weren't so expensive cause after all, it's a tinted lip balm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the packaging on these! I really want to splurge on this but I have a million lip products already! Maybe someday :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)