January 10, 2012

Birchbox - January 2012

Hello, Beautiful!

This is my January 2012 Birchbox shipment. The value of this one is pretty high compared to most, but then again there are a few products I had to guess at (3 of the 5 items had no sizes listed on the packaging). I may or may not get around to posting my husband's Birchbox contents because I'm having surgery tomorrow (Wednesday, January 11th) and it will be a little while before I can photograph items again.

For more information on Birchbox, or to sign-up and start receiving your own Birchbox every month, CLICK HERE to visit http://www.birchbox.com?raf=eops9. Just $10 each month!


*Remember to click on the images to view them larger!*

January 2012 Birchbox
My Birchbox beauty profile was set to Classic and Trendy.
Hair Color: Brown. Hair Description: Color-Treated, Fine, Frizzy. Skin Coloring: Medium. Skin Type: Combination. Skin Concerns: Acne, Aging.





The Included Info Card:







Shipment Quick Stats:

  • Value of this month's Birchbox shipment: $57.34 (value is approximate)
  • Total # of Items Received: 6
  • # of makeup items: 2
  • # of nail items: 0
  • # of skincare items: 2
  • # of body care items: 0
  • # of hair care items: 0
  • # of fragrance items: 0
  • # of other items: 2

Now I'll break it down, product-by-product...

STILA Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in Peacock
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: It's time to put down the black liner. This colorful pigment makes eyes stand out and stays put for hours.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I am loving this liner! Stila Smudge Sticks are great quality, and the shade I received (Peacock) is gorgeous! Bonus that it's full sized! Yay!
  • FULL SIZE: .01 oz @ $20.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: .01 oz (full sized item)
  • VALUE: $20.00
 










MIRACLE SKIN TRANSFORMER Treat & Concealer in Light/Medium
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: Don't just hide your problem spots: treat them. This creamy concealer is packed with actives to correct, cover and protect your skin.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I really wanted to try this product out and was really excited to find it in my January Birchbox! I haven't tried it on my face (yet), but I'm looking forward to seeing how it covers my hyper pigmentation. It swatched a little powdery looking on my hand, so I really hope it looks better on my face.
  • FULL SIZE: 0.50 fl oz @ $36.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: ? no size listed on the tube, but compared to other tubes similar in size I am going to guess that this is 0.12 oz (I have another Miracle Skin Transformer sample tube that is slightly larger at 0.16 oz; so I based my guess off of that)
  • VALUE: $8.63
 








CLARK'S BOTANICALS Smoothing Marine Cream
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: Dull skin no more, thanks to the glycolic acid in this exfoliating moisturizer. The gentle tingle means it's working.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I'm excited to try this out, especially considering how much the full sized version costs (something I would likely never try otherwise). It has a nice light fragrance.
  • FULL SIZE: 1.7 fl oz @ $115.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: ? again, no size listed on the jar; I asked Birchbox last time about the size of another Clark's Botanicals product and they were going to check on the size and get back to me, but never did. They did, however, tell me that most jars that size is 0.25 to 0.30 oz. I'm going to use the 0.25 size for the purpose of value breakdown.
  • VALUE: $16.91












FIX MALIBU Immaculate Complexion Smoothing Serum
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: This clever serum is on our skincare honor roll. Antioxidant-rich vitamins A, C, and E brighten skin tone and soften wrinkles.
  • MY THOUGHTS: I've never heard of this brand, so it's nice to try something new. There is plenty in this little jar to give my skin a week or two's worth of testing.
  • FULL SIZE: 1.7 fl oz @ $125.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: ? again, no size listed on the jar. I'm going to guess this is 0.15 oz
  • VALUE: $11.03
 










LARABAR mini bar in Blueberry Muffin
  • DESCRIPTION ON INFO CARD: You won't find any artificial fillers in these natural bars: just dried fruits, nuts, and other wholesome ingredients. They're as tasty as they are healthy.
  • MY THOUGHTS: When I opened the package I nearly gagged. The bar looks like someone took my dog's vomit and packed it into a chewy, smooshy square; gross! It didn't smell good either. I don't like blueberry muffins to begin with, so I wasn't even going to attempt to taste this. It went in the trash.
  • FULL SIZE: 1 full sized bar is 1.6 oz @ $1.59 (a 16 pack is $25.45)
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 1 mini bar, 0.78 oz
  • VALUE: $0.77











Birchbox Magnet
  • MY THOUGHTS: There was no mention of the Birchbox magnet on the info card, but it's a cute little extra. 


Let me know what you think...
Did you receive a Birchbox shipment this month? If so, what are your thoughts on your box? If you don't receive Birchbox yet, click here to sign up! Discuss in the comments below.



35 comments:

  1. I don't do birchbox, but that Stila liner is gorgeous! Good luck with your surgery! I just had one last Thursday, so healing is not fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The magnet's a cute idea. Much more so than that bracelet they sent back in September. I'm still waiting on my box, it's due in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang,I wish I got mine so quick! haha I am sooo hoping for the eyeliner. Love the color you got. Looks like a good month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muffin is soo funny ^^.. Stila eyeliner... I MUST HAVE :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you got yours so quickly. I'm still waiting for mine in the mail. I was looking to see if I could get an idea of what I'm getting this month. Thanks for posting. Very detailed.

    http://purrincup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Nail Designs xox: I hope your recovery is going well! It's no fun recovering from surgery and I'm really not looking forward to it.

    @ Steffi: I agree, the magnet is something I already use more than the bracelet.

    @ Miranda: This was a great month! I was really happy to see they bumped up their game. Maybe this is a trend of what all future boxes will be?

    @ Cindii: I used to get it 2 days after they sent out the shipping notification, but then something happened and it would take weeks. I was shocked to get it so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got mine today too. I'm really excited for the Stila! My bar is some brownie thing. I'm scared lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't even been sent a shipping notice yet:( Soon hopefully. Good luck tomorrow and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope they continue to bump it up, especially with the other ones that are out =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, LARABAR! I absolutely adore those. Haven't had the blueberry muffin one (that sounds kinda sketchy), but cherry pie and key lime are amaaaazing.

    Nice liner, but I've already got an UD in almost that same shade!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great box! It takes forever to receive mine! I hope your surgery goes well, and you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If my box is anything like yours I will be very happy. I've had some pretty crappy boxes in the past. And good luck with your surgery too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Larabars are good pb cookie is my favorite. They look off but good. But birch box should stop with the food. Its beauty things everyone wants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We don't have Birchbox in South Africa, but we have other boxes. This looks fabulous, so many nice things. :)

    * Chicara

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got great Birchbox this time. Love them items in it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love the color of the eye-liner *.*

    good luck with your surgery honey :*

    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  17. They actually do mention the magnet. It's mentioned in the third paragraph on the front of the info card. I had to look hard to find it. I, too, was wondering about it! :)

    I love the Birchbox breakdowns you do! You're extremely informative! I received mine yesterday and I have a lot of the same products as you received. I'm excited to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like reading posts about beauty boxes, too bad they are not shipped here :(
    Good luck with the surgery

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sending good thoughts your way for your surgery and recovery!!

    Nice stash! See, stuff like that would have kept me a BB member. I love the liner. And I *love* Lara bars! Esp. since they are all natural--ate one for breakfast this morning, after getting a sample in another subscription box.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got the exact same birchbox. I've been doing it for 3 months now and these last 2 I've been disappointed with. I'm excited about the stila eyeliner though. And I tried a bite of the fruit bar and it was absolutely disgusting!
    How are you figuring out the value of the item? Sorry, if I'm not getting that?

    ReplyDelete
  21. the larabar is a nogo. i just got my first box today and i have "cherry pie" it tastes like cherry like pie drywall.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I HATE Miracle Skin Transformer... made me a goopy mess when I tried it out this past summer. This box is great for the Stila Smudge Stick alone, though! Lara bars do look gross... but they're one of the few vegan bars out there so I'll eat them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to get mine! I'm not a big fan of colored eyeliners. My style is pretty "vanilla" so I usually stick to black or brown. Hopefully I'll get one of those colors!

    I hope everything goes well with your surgery! <3

    ReplyDelete
  24. I received mine today. I am still a little disappointed with what I got. It seems that everyone else gets useful items and I always end up with super-small products I will never use. Here's what I received:
    1. BirchBox Magnet
    2. Juicy Couture- Viva La Juicy (probably about 4 uses)
    3. Borghese- Curaforte Moisture Intensifier- super small tube so maybe 2 uses
    4. Jouer- Body Butter (great scent) super small pot so about 2 uses
    5. Stila- Eye Liner in 'moray'(a brown shimmer
    6. Larabar- Mini Bar peanut butter

    This is my 3rd box and the only item that saved my decision to keep Birchbox is the Stila eyeliner..everything else is blah

    ReplyDelete
  25. First, thank you to everyone who wished me well for my surgery. Everything went great (except getting the IV started... but that's another story in itself). I'm in pain (of course) but not in as much as I thought I would be in. I still have to take it easy, especially with limited arm movements. In fact, just typing hurts.

    @ Allison: I figure out the value based on the full size version and the price. I just divide and figure it out that way. It's pretty easy to do, but I'm terrible at explaining how I do it.


    @ Sarah S.: Sorry to hear you're not a fan of Miracle Skin Transformer. I tested it out on my face the morning of my surgery and was impressed with the coverage and how easy it blended into my skin, but it wasn't long lasting on me. Probably not a product I would buy full sized. But I'm happy I got to give it a try!


    @ Sweet (and Sour) Lou Lou: I don't usually wear any liner except black, but every now and then I love using a color liner. I usually will keep my lids bare, put on some color liner, and then a very small, tight line of black liner. It makes such a fun pop of color. You can also use these as an all-over shadow. They go on so nice and smooth.

    My husband's Birchbox arrived yesterday and in his he got a brown/bronze shade (I can't remember the name; I think it starts with an 'L'). His box wasn't as impressive as the box I received, but they were still good value boxes this month! Just the Stila Smudge Stick alone makes it worth it!


    @ Anonymous: Sorry you're disappointed with your Birchbox. Try switching up your beauty profile settings and you'll receive different items. My husband's profile is set different from mine and we always receive different items; except once and I believe at that time our profiles were near identical. But you can at least give it a try and see if you receive better items.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That eyeliner color is beautiful!

    I've awarded you with the Versatile Blogger Award, just wanted to let you know :]
    http://dreafashionista.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the stila smudgeproof sticks are incredible, and the blue shade looks like a lot of fun!

    I haven't subscribed to any of those birchbox type of services, but I am oh so tempted :) xx


    http://ms-jelena.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aw dont hate on Larabars! They look like pieces of crap but taste pretty heavenly. I got the chocolate chip flavor in mine and it was mega amazing.

    I got box 1 this month, pretty happy with it. Finally a full-size product that happens to also be a make-up item! I got the peacock color too and its so gorgeous. So excited to wear it.
    But another fragrance to add to the pile of viles.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Boo! I really wanted to get the eyeliner - but didn't :(

    Sounds like my box was very different from everyone else -

    - Juicy Couture/Juicy Couture - Perfume sample
    - Miracle skin Transformer/Treat & Conceal (Same as yours)
    - VMV Hypoallergenics/Re-Everything: Eye Serum - Coverage for dark circles and anti-aging eye serum.
    - Zoya/Nail Polish in Megan

    This is my second box so far - and I'm not very impressed. I saw the eye liner in the 'New' items on the website and was hoping I'd get it. My profile doesn't say anything about aging concerns - I have that I am all about new trends and funky colors or whatever - but who knows. Thanks for sharing so much info! I'm new to the blog thing - and hope that I can start doing reviews like this too (soon maybe).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh - and as the 'Lifestyle Extra' - I got a sample of 'wichcraft - Granola (haven't tried it yet, so we'll see...)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pfft! The more I see what others got in their boxes, the more dissatisfied I am with my own! I really wanted skin care products, and they all look amazing!

    I did my unboxing and review here: http://www.mrsgaeul.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I received the liner in a purple shade & I love it! I also have the Fix & wow does it smell amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That sounds so fun! I didn't know about Birchbox until this month. I went to sign up, but they are currently sold out, so I'm on the waiting list. I can't wait till they accept me!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)