I'm not a big tinted moisturizer fan, but only because I need the coverage and don't want to add an extra step to my routine. However, there has been one tinted moisturizer that I've used over and over until I ran out (and I just ran out a day after I took these swatch photos), which is why the photo of my tube of this moisturizer looks empty. That would be the Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer in the shade Luminous.
It's a light weight, oil-free tinted moisturizer packed with vitamins and anti-aging peptides. It has a unique citrus honey moisturization technology that nourishe as it absorbs excess oil throughout the day. And as with a lot of Smashbox products, it has UVA/UVB and an SPF of 15.
This tinted moisturizer is available in five shades: Fair, Light, Luminous, Medium, Dark. The shade Luminous, which is the shade I have, is a "for everyone" shade (although for deep to dark skintones I don't know if it really would flatter those skintones). The shade Luminous adds a luminosity to your skin. Originally I probably would have chosen Light or Medium, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with Luminous. Plus, I had tried it in a deluxe sample and fell in love with the formula and shade. Maybe next time I will pick up Medium.
Smashbox Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer in the shade Luminous
My Before & After
[You can see it does not cover my hyperpigmentation, but does tone it down a bit. My skin does appear more luminous in the after photo.]
I personally like to use my tinted moisturizer as that extra step when my skin is dry. I will apply my moisturizer, then primer, then I'll apply my tinted moisturizer, followed by my regular makeup routine. In the summer I do like to wear it by itself.
You can pick up Smashbox's Sheer Focus Tinted Moisturizer for $30 at Sephora.com or Smashbox.com.
Now a little FAQ about tinted moisturizer...
A tinted moisturizer is not meant to give coverage, per say, at least not coverage that would be needed by anyone who says they need coverage. However, if you have good skin with the usual suspects of troubles (redness, slight discoloration, maybe a blemish or two) then a tinted moisturizer is a great light option compared to a regular foundation.
You may be wondering when you should apply a tinted moisturizer or why you should apply. I'll sum it up pretty easily:
Who do I recommend a tinted moisturizer for?
- Someone with flawless skin (or near flawless skin).
- Someone with the usual suspects of flaws (redness, slight discoloration, maybe a blemish or two) - you would fall into this category if you could apply a concealer to your "flaws" and not need the help of a foundation.
- Someone who wants light coverage.
- Someone who doesn't want to feel like they're wearing foundation.
- Someone who wants a light option for summer.
- Someone who wants to add an extra layer of moisture if they have dry skin.
Who do I NOT recommend a tinted moisturizer for?
- Someone who needs and/or wants coverage (the type of coverage that would require a foundation and concealer).
- Someone who dislikes liquid foundations and/or cream foundations (you prefer powders - loose or pressed).
- Someone who has very oily skin and doesn't need to even use a regular moisturizer on a daily basis.
When should you apply your tinted moisturizer?
There are a few ways you can use a tinted moisturizer in your makeup routine. Here are my suggestions:
- Apply a tinted moisturizer after your regular skincare moisturizer (and after a primer, if you use one). This is the method you would use if you want to use a tinted moisturizer in place of a foundation. If you need to apply concealer you can do so afterwards.
- Apply a tinted moisturizer in place of your regular skincare moisturizer. This is great if you just ran out of your moisturizer or if you are on an overnight trip and want to pack less.
- Apply a tinted moisturizer after your regular skincare moisturizer (and after a primer, if you use one). Then, follow with your foundation and concealer as normal. You may want to allow the tinted moisturizer to dry for a minute or two before you move on to foundation or concealer.
So to break it down even more...
- A tinted moisturizer can be used in place of your regular skincare moisturizer. I would not recommend this as a permanent replacement for your skincare moisturizer, but in a pinch or for a limited time it will work just fine. Some tinted moisturizers have the same skincare benefits as your regular skincare moisturizer, but most do not.
- A tinted moisturizer can be used before your apply your foundation and/or concealer. Just be sure to apply your primer before your tinted moisturizer. You can experiment and apply primer after your tinted moisturizer, but I prefer to apply my tinted moisturizer after a primer.
- A tinted moisturizer can be used in place of your regular foundation. Yes, you can wear concealer with it and you can even set it with a powder if you prefer.
- A tinted moisturizer is not meant to provide coverage; It will give a sheer wash of color.