May 28, 2011

Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation

Hello, Beautiful!

The Week of Make Up For Ever has come to an end, but I've saved one of the best for last: Make Up For Ever's HD Invisible Cover Foundation!

This is one of my all time favorite foundations! Just recently, Make Up For Ever launched the very first un-retouched foundation ad campaign. I think it's wonderful and really shows how great the foundation is. As a former photographer I know there is hardly anything anymore that doesn't get some retouching done, so to see a makeup ad free of retouching... well that is just a jaw dropper to me! I love it! I love that Make Up For Ever took this step and hopefully it will encourage other companies to produce un-retouched ads. Then we could really see how well their foundations look (insert evil laugh here). You can find the ad in several magazines or click here to view it online, which also shows other models showing off their un-retouched skin wearing this foundation.

Okay, time for swatches....


Make Up For Ever's HD Invisible Cover Foundation - Shade 120 Soft Sand
Shade Description: For medium light skin with yellow undertones.




Make Up For Ever's HD Invisible Cover Foundation - Shade 123 Desert
Shade Description: For light skin with olive undertones.




Both shades side by side:
[on left shade 120; on right shade 123]


Before & After pics:
I used shade 120 - Soft Sand for the before & after pics below. I used an e.l.f. Cosmetics stipple brush and used circular motions to apply the foundation.


Basic stats for Make Up For Ever's HD Invisible Cover Foundation:
Formula: liquid
Coverage: medium; buildable
Wear: long wearing to a point; it's not the type that you can put on at 7am and expect it to be on at 7pm, but it will get you through a typical day if pairing with a primer and setting powder.
Shade Range: really good; 26 shades available on Sephora.com
Container Type: pump top bottle
Cost: $40 for a 1 fl oz size
Availability: Found only at Sephora and Sephora.com
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Kisses! (I HIGHLY recommend this foundation)


Formula:
A light-weight oil-free liquid foundation. Applies evenly and smoothly with just about any application method. Leaves you with an "invisible" natural finish.

Coverage:
This is a medium, buildable coverage foundation. I know the website says this foundation is medium to full coverage, but it's not a true full coverage. It may be full coverage to most people, but to those of us with true skin flaws to hide we know what a true full coverage foundation is and isn't.

Wear:
As I mentioned above in the quick stats, this foundation isn't long wearing enough that you could put it on at 7am and expect it to be perfect at 7pm. Most foundations are not that long, especially on their own. If you use a primer first and set it correctly with a setting powder you will get through a typical day just fine (unless you are super oily, in which case you may want to bring along blotting papers and be prepared for a touch-up).

It can last through some heat and humidity, but it's not waterproof so it doesn't hold up all that well. I am going to put this foundation to the Amusement Park Proof test to see how well it can wear in extreme conditions (heat, humidity, sweat, roller coasters, water rides and a really long day).

Container:
A pump-top bottle for easy application.


Cost:
$40 is a bit pricey, but not for a great foundation that will give you coverage and look great! I highly recommend this foundation to my friends and family all the time!


Some more thoughts:
Back when I had a photo studio, one of the makeup artists I worked with often would mostly use Make Up Forever's HD Invisible Cover Foundation on my clients. She made every client look flawless both on camera and off. In photoshoots, when using studio lighting, the right makeup is key. I can't tell you how many clients would choose to do their own makeup and end up looking terrible on camera because they didn't understand the way studio lighting reflects & deflects, or the way your face will absorb light (making you look washed out or white without the right makeup). Makeup needs to be heavier, colors need to be darker, and foundation needs to be more matte (for anyone who gets oily fast) for it to look great on camera. Any makeup artist can tell you that, and of course, any photographer can tell you that too :)

I ordered this foundation online the first night the makeup artist told me about it. When I received it, curious if it really would look like it wasn't there, I applied it to just half my face. When my husband came home I asked him to tell me which side of my face I had foundation on; he couldn't tell!

Now, two years later, I still LOVE this foundation! Easily one of my top three foundations of all time and I plan to use it for many years to come!

I personally like to apply this foundation with my fingertips or with a stippling brush. If I use a stippling brush I either use the actual stippling method or I will just swirl the product on in small circles.

Really though, you can't go wrong with application of this foundation no matter what method you choose. It blends in really well to an "invisible" finish while still giving you coverage.

Apply a primer before using this foundation to get longer wear from it. Just be sure to allow your primer to set/dry fully before applying foundation. After you apply the foundation allow it to fully dry before setting it with a setting powder. I like to wait about 5 to 10 minutes (I do other things while I'm waiting, like fill in my brows, brush my teeth, or start on my hair). Then apply setting powder generously to the entire face with a puff or a brush, allow it to sit there for 1 to 2 minutes, then gently brush away all the excess powder. This method of setting your foundation will give you the longest wear. Keep in mind using a setting powder will change the finish to a matte, but that's what a setting powder is meant to do. If you have oily skin you need to set your liquid foundations for best wear. If you have dry skin you may want to skip the setting powder unless you have a long day ahead of you.


1 comment:

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)