By now most of you probably have heard of the Sally Hansen Salon Effects nail polish strips. They just popped up at my local Wal-Mart on Friday and my awesome husband was the one to find them, call me, then buy a box for me (I love him).
I had my eye on the pattern, which to me, looks like fishnet stockings. It's called "Misbehaved" - which is a shimmery gold with small holo glitter as the base color and black fishnet stocking pattern on top.
As soon as my husband got home I removed my nail polish (which you can still sort of see around the edges of my nails, sorry!) and applied these strips.
You'll receive 16 strips in a box, and a box costs around $8 to $9. I thought to myself, "okay, why only 16 strips and not 20 strips?", thinking you'd use one strip per nail and would get two uses out of the set. Depending on the length of your nails you will get more use out of these. I don't have long nails so I was able to use each strip twice. I only used five strips to do my nails. If you have longer nails you may only get one use out of each box. A lot will also depend on your nails size.
Applying them is an easy process:
1. Make sure your nails are clean and polish free (I did NOT use a base coat).
2. Buff your nails (I actually buffed and smoothed them with my own file, although they include a mini file for you to use). They also want you to file the edge of your nail so it's sharp - this is to break the strip off easier, but I had no problems breaking off the strip without filing the edges of my nails down.
3. Choose your strip size and apply. Smooth on. Tear the remaining strip off. I just pulled downward and it torn off. Since my nails are short enough I used the remainder on my other hand.
4. Then I filed off any excess hanging over my nail
5. And even though this was not in the steps, I did put one coat of Seche Vite over top because I wanted them to last.
To remove you just use regular nail polish remover (I'll have to update this after I remove them to tell you how easy it was).
I applied these on a Friday evening and it's now Monday morning. All of them are still on, no tears or chips (and believe me, I am not careful with my nails). They survived showers, which sometimes can cause peeling in nail strips. And they still feel like they're going to be on my nails for a long time. I really want to keep these on until they start to wear, but I'm not sure I can make it that long. I like to paint my nails at least every other day, and I have a lot of new colors I wanted to try out. I'll give it another day or two before I change my nails.
Overall I'm very impressed with these strips. I like the variety, how easy they are to use, and the fact that I'll get at least 2 uses out of the box, possibly 3. The wear is great, so you'll get your money out of these. If you have a special event to go to these nails will last you at least 2 to 3 days without any signs of wear (and probably even longer).
The price point isn't bad - $9 is pretty good for what you get, at least for the patterns (I think the regular ones that you could do easily with nail polish aren't worth it, but patterns are great). The regular ones are worth if if you travel a lot and just need a change of polish. They're also great to keep a box in your desk at work, even your locker at school. They're a great "emergency" nail color option.
Have you tried these? If so, which ones did you try out and what are your thoughts on them?
If you haven't tried these, will you pick up a box the next time you see them?