January 30, 2013

Silk'n Flash n' Go - My experience so far (6 treatments in) - including progress photos!

Hello, Beautiful!

I am so excited to share with you my experience so far with the Silk'n Flash n' Go Permanent Hair Removal device! This FDA cleared at-home permanent hair removal can be used on face and body. It couldn't be easier to use; and is really quick (depending on the area you're treating). I'm using this on a couple areas of my body, but for my testing purposes I decided to focus on the arm pits - which is my #1 hated spot to have hair.

One thing I can't stand is having to shave my under arms all the time -- especially in the spring/summer when I want to wear tank tops or tops with shorter sleeves. We've all been there -- we shave, wear a tank top that day, then the next day we wear a cap-sleeve top, but by day three we're wearing a short sleeve top that covers our under arms completely or we have to re-shave. Re-shaving can lead to irritation, bumps, and razor burn - which is more typically true if you have to shave that area frequently. I don't know about you, but I would love to have hair-free under arms!

I still have a ways to go until I see complete hair loss that is permanent, so keep in mind this is only a progress post and not a final before & after. It does take time to see results, but stay patient and you'll be rewarded with great results. Everyone is different, so I may have faster or slower results than you will. I do my treatments every 2 weeks, so I've only been doing this for 3 months. I should mention you are supposed to start with doing treatments every 2 weeks, then go to 1 treatment every month after a set amount of treatments (all explained in the instructions) -- however, since I gradually increased the levels I decided to do my treatments every 2 weeks until I was at the highest level then see how my hair re-growth goes and go to 1 treatment every 4 weeks when I felt results were beginning. I have also heard of people doing this every week or even every day; trust me - you don't need to do it that often. You want to catch the hair in certain growth cycles so doing it more frequent than every 2 weeks is just wasting your flashes on the cartridge.

Check out my pics, info, review, and progress photos ... click on pics to view them larger.

Silk'n Flash & Go
Permanent Hair Removal Device




















Silk'n Flash & Go
Permanent Hair Removal Device
PROGRESS PHOTOS: 6 TREATMENTS IN!

 My progress photos below are of my actual un-shaved armpits (gross, I know! - but necessary for proper before and after pics) and there are various hair growth periods between each before photo (usually 2 to 4 day re-growth) -- although I tried to keep the hair growth periods around the same length of time for the photos, but you can obviously tell where I've let it grow a day or two longer. The only before photos I don't have are before Treatment 4, so I apologize for that. I didn't take before photos showing a shaved armpit because I don't feel that would really show any hair loss, as obviously my armpits would look smooth freshly shaved. Instead I focused on the gross, hairy armpit photos that will eventually lead to hair-free under arms!

If you really look, you can see hair loss and it seems like the area of hair I have is becoming a thinner strip of hair. Not bad for 6 treatments in! Click on the photos to view them larger!










Silk'n Flash & Go Permanent Hair Removal Device Info & Review:
Cost/Availability: $299 (device, which includes a back-up cartridge). You can buy additional cartridges for $40 each. Available on the Silk'n website (easy pay available here), at Sephora, at Nordstrom, and everywhere else Silk'n is sold.
My Rating (so far): 5 out of 5 Kisses

Let's start with a little info about the Silk'n Flash & Go:

The Silk'n Flash & Go is an innovative light-based device, using highly sophisticated Home Pulsed Light technology to safely and effectively provide long-term hair removal results. This device is FDA cleared for at-home permanent hair removal on both the face and body. Even good for sensitive areas, like bikini line, or smaller areas, like the upper lip. Both women and men can use this device, and you can share the same device with other people.

However, just like professional laser treatments, this device isn't for everyone. It won't work on darker skin tones. There is a unique skin color sensor built into the Flash & Go to measure the treated skin complexion at the beginning of each session and occasionally during the session. The skin color sensor ensures that pulses will only be emitted on suitable skintones.

This is quick and easy to use; you simply plug it in, power on and get going. Depending on area you're treating, it can be as quick as a minute or two or take up to 15 to 20 minutes. My underarms take about 1 to 2 minutes. It is super quick and I only do about 8 to 10 flashes on each side.

Compared to professional laser treatments (and even if you add up the cost of razors from shaving, or waxing), this is an affordable option to hair removal. Yes, it's an investment but a small one for the results you can achieve. The device comes with a cartridge already on it, and a back-up cartridge. Each cartridge is good for about 1,000 flashes. Between those two cartridges you can fully treat a few areas of the body, but if you run out you can rest easy knowing replacement cartridges are just $40 each - which is pretty affordable; it's not like you have to buy an entirely new device.

Does it hurt? No, it doesn't hurt but the higher levels will be more intense until you are used to it. You'll feel heat and then like a rubber band snapping on you - which may not bother you at all; it just depends on the area. I can say that I started on level 1 and went up to level 5 by the 7th treatment. I moved up very slowly, even though I know doing so may mean slower results. I wanted to make sure I was comfortable or I wouldn't be happy using it. I didn't feel much of a rubber band snap though... maybe that is the wrong definition because I've been snapped by rubber bands and they hurt much more than this device! There really isn't a "hurt", it's more of a quick discomfort - and again, it really depends on the area and your pain tolerance. The heat was greater on the higher levels, but still tolerable for sure and not at all bad. Overall, I find it painless and the discomfort is minimal. Believe it or not, I had more discomfort on my legs than my under arms.

Honestly, I was TERRIFIED to try this at first. I didn't know how bad it would hurt. It took some courage before I could test it (which I tested it on my forearm). I was shocked at how painless it was, and how quick and easy it was. So yes, initially you may freak yourself out with wondering about how it will feel, but you'll soon realize it's nothing. I will say that it is bright when it flashes. Don't stare directly at it, or wear sunglasses if you're sensitive to light. After the first treatment or two I didn't even notice the bright flash anymore; I guess I just got really used to it.

Even though you won't see hair loss right away, you will notice that it's easier to shave in between treatments.  I also found I was getting a smoother shave.

I just finished treatment #7, and you'll see my before pic for that treatment but I can say that I feel like going to level 5 was a great decision for me at this point in my treatment progress. Less and less hair is coming back, and it's getting easier and easier to shave. Sure, it's not a HUGE noticeable difference yet but I really don't expect to see a huge difference until at least 6 months into it. I'm only 3 months in. We'll see how the next 3 months go on Level 5. It would be great to be hair-free by summer!


Now let me list my notes I made for each treatment....

TREATMENT 1:
I started out on level 1. Quick and easy to do arm pits; about 1 to 2 minutes total start to finish. About 8 to 10 flashes per under arm. No pain, no discomfort; just heat. Very bright flashes, but I don't mind. Slight burning smell, but it goes away quickly.

TREATMENT 2:
I went to level 2. Still quick and easy; same amount of flashes as first time around. No pain, no discomfort; just heat. Same slight burning smell that goes away quickly.

TREATMENT 3:
I went to level 3. On level 3 there were a few areas that had a slight sting/rubber band snapping, but not a very intense snap. Still heat and slightly burning smell that goes away quickly.

TREATMENT 4:
This was the only treatment I didn't take photos before doing the treatment. Life was just too hectic and I completely forgot to take pics.
For this treatment, I stayed at level 3. Same discomfort as last treatment (slight rubber band snapping), except my right under arm was more sensitive for some reason. Still feel heat and slightly burning smell that goes away quickly.

TREATMENT 5:
Still on level 3, but this time no discomfort. Since there was no discomfort I'm thinking next treatment I will go to level 4.
Still fast and easy. Still feel heat. Still have slight burning smell that goes away quickly.
Still waiting to see results. Still way easier to shave and I get a smoother shave. Starting to see some hair growth slow down in some spots. I don't see hair coming back, but still not a large enough area to see a noticeable difference. Still plenty more treatments to go.

TREATMENT 6:
Went to level 4. No discomfort but I could feel it (slight rubber band snapping, but more heat). There was more noticeable burning skin smell after each flash, but that quickly goes away. Still just as quick and easy as ever. I'm noticing some areas that are not growing back, but still not a large enough area to see a huge difference. Now that I'm on level 4 I think I will see more results, quicker.

TREATMENT 7:
Went to the top level, level 5. Felt it for sure - more so on my right arm pit - but still not too bad.  Same noticeable skin burning smell after each flash, but that quickly goes away. Quick and easy to use. Now that I know there is no higher level I am 100% comfortable with the device and all its levels. No need to go down a level for the arm pit areas. I feel like now that I'm on the highest level it will really start to work. I have already noticed some hair loss and it's always easier to shave now, so I see great things in the future!

Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this hair removal product? Have you tried this or is this on your wish list? Discuss in the comments below.

10 comments:

  1. I purchased the remington ilight pro about 4 months ago. Same concept. Using on my legs and I'm 90% hair free. So as long has you have the right skin color and hair color it'll work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I'm curious on what the update is! How long has it been and what do you think of it now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous: I'm ashamed to say I fell off the cycle due to a bunch of life events (my dad passing away, helping family with things, personal issues, and getting sick a whole bunch) so I do need to re-start it. The hair that did stop growing isn't really coming back but it is a little - I really need to stay at the highest level and be consistent. I had planned to do so in the fall, so that's right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this anything like the No No?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Anonymous: I've never tried the No!No! but I believe they work completely different. The No!No! needs to be used more often to get results. I'd like to try the No!No! at some point and do a comparison, but right now it's not in my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can this be use with aleo vera gel?

    ReplyDelete
  7. can this be used with aloe vera gel?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Wenhua Pei: I'm not 100% sure, but I wouldn't suggest putting anything on before you use it, I'd assume after you use it would be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. for mi is working very good

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just so you know, that isn't a skin burning smell. It's the smell of any hair on the surface of your skin being burned away. If you find it unpleasant, try gently shaving before you use the IPL. Give your skin a little while for any redness or soreness to go away, then use the IPL. You should get a lot less of the burnt hair smell.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)