July 26, 2014

Ipsy - July 2014 - pics, mini reviews & value breakdown

Hello, Beautiful!

This is my July 2014 Ipsy bag! Check out below to see what I received, a little about each product and my thoughts, as well as a break-down of the value of this month's bag!

Spoiler Alert: I'm really disappointed with the item sizes (NO full size this time - first time ever!) and the value (lowest ever, I believe).

Sorry for the poor quality photo too -- I didn't have time to photograph this bag properly. 

Ipsy is just $10 a month! Each month you'll receive 4 to 6 deluxe or even full-sized products. If you want to sign-up for your own Ipsy bag, CLICK HERE (it's my referral link - you don't have to use my referral link; it only gives me points that I can save up to redeem for prizes in the future).


July 2014 Ipsy Bag


Shipment Quick Stats:
  • Value of this month's Ipsy Bag: $25.52 (value is approximate & does not include value of actual bag)
  • Total # of Items Received: 5
  • # of FULL SIZED items: 0
  • # of makeup items: 3
  • # of nail items: 0
  • # of hair care items: 1
  • # of skin care items: 0
  • # of body care items: 1
  • # of fragrance items: 0

Now I'll talk about each product...

BareMinerals 5-in-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow Broad Spectrum SPF 15
Shade: Divine Wine
  • MY THOUGHTS: I was really excited to get this product. Two shades were going around: Divine Wine and Barely Nude. Honestly, I was hoping for Barely Nude but super happy with Divine Wine, as it's not a wine shade at all. It's more of a taupe. Really pretty all over or as a base. Once it dries down (and it dries quickly) it doesn't budge! It's also extremely pigmented and has an amazing texture. Makes me want to check out more shades.
  • FULL SIZE: 0.1 oz @ $18.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.03 oz
  • VALUE: $5.40

Lord & Berry Silk Kajal Kohl-Liner
Shade: Black
  • MY THOUGHTS: First, let's talk about how Ipsy called this the Kajal Stick -- which is a completely different product from Lord & Berry. This is in fact the Silk Kajal Kohl Liner. Second, the size of this sample is ridiculously small. This is the point of sharpening liners where I normally stop using them, so I couldn't imaging starting to use one at this size and how much use I'd actually get or how well I could hold this tiny pencil. Size aside, it is a creamy pencil and it's black - so I could always use it, but I have so many black liners in my makeup drawer that I wonder how often - or if I'd ever - reach for this.
  • FULL SIZE: 0.48 oz @ $15.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 0.02 oz
  • VALUE: $0.63

Hang Ten Dark Tanning Oil SPF 08
  • MY THOUGHTS: I don't really lay out and tan (honestly, I just don't have the time), so a product like this isn't going to get much, if any, use from me. I'm actually going to pass this onto my nieces, who love to lay out.
  • FULL SIZE: 8 fl oz @ $11.99
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 1 fl oz
  • VALUE: $1.50

Marrakesh Hair Care Marrakesh Endz
  • MY THOUGHTS: I was excited to get this in my bag because I knew I could use it. Haven't tried it yet, but looking forward to it.
  • FULL SIZE: 1 oz @ $5.99 -- 4 oz @ $17.99
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 1 oz
  • VALUE: $5.99


Pur Minerals Big Look Waterproof Mascara
Shade: Black
  • MY THOUGHTS: I don't use waterproof mascara, because I never really have issues with my mascara not staying or smearing during anything where I'd really care - but I'm of course going to try this mascara at some point. I just won't open it yet because I have too many mascaras open at the moment.
  • FULL SIZE: 0.12 oz @ $12.00 -- 0.17 oz @ $20.00
  • SIZE I RECEIVED: 1 oz
  • VALUE: $12.00


The actual bag everything comes in...
my thoughts:
  • This bag is actually pretty cute. It's a bright neon pink; more square in shape with scalloped edges. Cute and for sure a bag I could see myself using.


My Thoughts On The Entire Bag...
  • FULL SIZE/DELUXE SIZE: This bag contained 4 items - all deluxe sample size. NO full size items.
  • VALUE: The value was approximately $25.52 -- a record low for my Ipsy shipments! 
  • USAGE: I will use the Bare Minerals shadow -- I'm loving the formula, wear and shade! The liner will just get thrown into my liner drawer to be used (maybe) one day. The Hang Ten Tanning Oil is being passed onto my nieces. I will for sure try the Pur Minerals mascara, just not until I finish up some mascaras at the moment.
  • FINAL THOUGHTS: Last month I wasn't that happy with my bag, and this month I'm also not happy. This was the first month on record, since way back to their 2nd bag ever (when they were still MyGlam) that I didn't receive a full sized product. Combined with the low bag value, I'm really hoping Ipsy hasn't caught the Birchbox flu..... you know, how Birchbox was amazing their first year (maybe even year and a half) and then slowly it got worse and worse. All I would get were small samples, foil packets, perfume, note cards and food. That's ultimately why I cancelled Birchbox. At the moment I couldn't imagine cancelling Ipsy, but two bag bags in a row?! Please Ipsy tell me things will get better.... please?


Let me know what you think...
What are your thoughts on this month's Ipsy bag? Did you receive an Ipsy bag this month? If so, what did you get in your bag? Discuss in the comments below.


1 comment:

  1. I had the exact same reaction to Birchbox and this month's ipsy. I got a full size Models Own polish instead of your mascara, but it's really not a very good polish. Which is shocking from MO! Overall, incredibly disappointed this month. I know they are bringing in more people off the wishlist and I hope that's not what's causing this decrease in quality. If they can't keep up demand with their current price, something is really wrong with their business model.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)