First, before I get into the amusement park-proof makeup testing, I want to apologize for not having a I Wear Pink On Wednesdays nail polish post. I tried to do my nails two times this morning using different pinks and both times I messed up the manicure! I finally gave up, painted them black and added Kleancolor Chunky Holo Black on top - which is really beautiful (it changes from green to red to orange to yellow). I will have to take pics of it at some point but this morning I just was not in a nail polish mood for some reason.
Every summer I struggle with the same issue: how to get my makeup to stay on through a hot, sweaty, humid day at the amusement park. If I had flawless skin, or if I didn't enjoy wearing makeup so much, I probably wouldn't let this become an issue. But it is an issue for me and for the past couple of summers I've done unofficial product testing. This summer I told myself I would do official product testing.
This applies to anyone who is outdoors a lot; not just for those that go to amusement parks. I'm talking about those that go to the beach, boardwalk, pools, or any other hot outdoor destination.
I go to Kings Dominion amusement park several times a month. When my son is not in school we'll go at least 1 to 2 times each week. My 14-year-old nephew is my official roller coaster buddy this summer and that means I'll be going to the amusement parks even more. We're also going to Dorney Park several times because we get in free with our season pass. I'll be going to Cedar Point for a few days in July too (again, we get in free with our season pass), and my son wants to go to Hershey Park this summer too. So what I'm trying to say is there will be A LOT of testing days!
I already know of some products that will fail within moments of heat, but there are others that I have yet to test out.
If you have any products you want me to test out please leave a comment or send me an email.
I begin my testing tomorrow!
Here's how this amusement park-proof testing will go:
- I will take a "before" photo within 15 minutes of final makeup application, before I leave the house.
- It's just over 2 hours to get to Kings Dominion. Some makeup can already start to wear away before I even enter the park so I will take an "arrival" photo in the parking lot before I go in.
- I will take "during" photos and make sure I list the time the photo was taken so I can see how many hours it took for the makeup to wear off (or stay on!).
- I usually do a touch-up at some point if we're going to be there for most of the day. Sometimes my makeup is doing well and I can just do an actual touch-up and nothing more. Other times I need to start from scratch, removing all my makeup and re-applying everything. I will take a "touch-up" photo or a "starting over" photo as necessary.
- I will continue to take any other "during" photos that may follow.
- Finally, after the day is over I will take an "after" photo in the parking lot.
- If I still have energy when I get home (which is almost never) I will take a "back home" photo to show the final wear of the makeup, but I can't promise this last photo for the testing. I'm usually beyond tired at that point!
I will also list the testing conditions such as:
- temperature (just the high of the day)
- what the sky was like (sunny, cloudy, rainy, etc.)
- any clothing/accessories that could affect the results (hat, sunglasses, hand-held fan that sprays water)
- if I went on any water rides
- if I went on any roller coasters (sometimes I only take my son and I don't go on any rides at all)
Tomorrow I will test out: (the products I use may change a little, but here is my plan; I will list the official products I use when I post my first round testing results)
- Moisturizer: none
- Primer: Make Up For Ever HD Primer
- Foundation: Make Up For Ever Face & Body Liquid Makeup (2 coats)
- Concealer: Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer
- Blush: none
- Eyeshadow Primer: Too Faced Shadow Insurance
- Eyeshadow: Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream
- Eye Liner: Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes
- Mascara: Mally Volumizing Mascara
- Brows: Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse
- Lips: Fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment
I will post on Friday or Saturday with the testing results!